First sexual assault case brought against former Boy Scout leader, dozens more possible

Posted at 10:51 PM, March 28, 2022 and last updated 10:51 PM, March 28, 2022

By: Jim Kiertzner

ROSEVILLE, Mich. (WXYZ) — Fifty-one-year-old Mark Chapman walked from a New York prison into Michigan State Police custody a few weeks ago. He served nine years on a juvenile sexual assault conviction for a victim related to him. That same victim, along with another alleged victim, are behind new charges in Michigan.

According to the Michigan attorney general, this is the first of what could be dozens of cases against former Boy Scout leaders.

Mark Chapman is charged with 10 counts of criminal sex conduct allegedly carried out against 2 children while he was serving as a Boy Scout leader in Michigan. Chapman faces 8 counts of second-degree criminal sex conduct and 2 counts of first-degree criminal sex conduct for allegedly repeatedly abusing 2 victims starting when they were 11 and 13-years-old. (Macomb County Sheriff’s Office)

The allegations against Chapman go back to the year 2000 involving two boys ages 11 and 12 when Chapman was a Boy Scout leader at a church in Roseville. The allegations are the assaults went on for years at Chapman’s home less than two miles away and at the home of the boy who was related to Chapman.

Even more disturbing, the Roseville Judge was told by Assistant Attorney General Danielle Russo Bennetts, “Mr. Chapman reached out immediately to his wife June Chapman asking her to contact the victim in this case. The victim that is unrelated to him.”

The judge was told that was on the phone and on Facebook and it was Chapman’s way of dealing with his victims years ago adding, “Mr. Chapman made threats to them about if they ever told what would happen to them.”

The evidence against Chapman includes his own statements.

Roseville District Court Judge Kathleen Tocco ordered Chapman to be held without bond.

His next court dates are April 6 at 8:30 a.m. for a pre-trial conference and April 13 at 8:30 a.m. for a probable cause hearing before Judge Alyia Marie Hakim.

Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel said in a news release earlier this month:

In addition to the first case being filed, the Department is examining a total of 5,000 claims sent from BSA national for review. Currently, a completed review of 550 claims resulted in roughly 60 inquiries sent to MSP for further investigation. The claim review process remains ongoing.

If you have information about the Boy Scouts of America that you think would help, please call the investigation tip line at 844-324-3374 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Tips can be left anonymously.

This story was originally published March 28, 2022, by WXYZ in Detroit, an E.W. Scripps Company.

MORE NEWS