By: Julie Salomone
VENICE, Fla. (WFTS) — The Laundrie family attorneys filed a motion for a protective order on Monday that aims to block the Petito family from making a letter to Brian as evidence in the upcoming civil trial.
In court records, Brian’s mother, Roberta Laundrie, claims a letter she wrote to her son had nothing to do with the murder of his fiancé, Gabby Petito.
Court records showed Roberta referred to a letter and envelope that said: “burn after reading.” Roberta claimed she wrote that letter in May 2021, before Gabby and Brian went on their road trip.
RELATED: Petito attorney: Laundrie’s mom offered son shovel to bury body
Last year, Gabby Petito’s family filed a civil lawsuit against Chris and Roberta Laundrie.
“Joseph Petito and Nichole Schmidt believe that Judge Danielle Brewer made the correct legal decision to allow them to join Attorney Steven Bertolino as a Defendant alongside Christopher Laundrie and Roberta Laundrie in the claim filed for intentional infliction of emotional distress. Now that all the living parties responsible for their emotional harm are joined, we look forward to moving the case forward to trial,” said Patrick Reilly, an attorney for the Petito family.
The lawsuit alleged Brian’s parents knew about the murder but did nothing to help.
According to court records, a jury trial has been set for Aug. 14, 2023.
This story was originally published March 6 by WFTS in Tampa Bay, an E.W. Scripps Company.