Court hearing for Ethan Crumbley moved to 2022, lawyers request he moves to Children’s Village

Posted at 7:06 AM, December 13, 2021 and last updated 10:18 AM, October 25, 2022

By Peter Maxwell

PONTIAC, Mich. (WXYZ) — Ethan Crumbley, the 15-year-old suspect in the deadly Oxford High School shooting rampage last month, appeared in court on Monday afternoon.

 

He is charged as an adult in the murders of his four classmates – Tate Myre, Hana St. Juliana, Madisyn Baldwin and Justin Shilling – as well as the shooting of seven other people at the school on Nov. 30.

His parents, James and Jennifer Crumbley, who are charged with four counts of involuntary manslaughter, are expected to be back in court on Tuesday.

Ethan’s court hearing was probable cause conference, the next step in his case. The case was adjourned until Jan. 7, 2022, while his attorney goes through more evidence.

His attorney also requested that Ethan leave the Oakland County Jail and instead go to Children’s Village, where juveniles are held.

His attorneys argued that he didn’t have a history of assaulting children and that it was an isolated incident. The prosecutor fought back and requested the judge keep him in the Oakland County Jail.

This booking photo released by the Oakland County, Mich., Sheriff’s Office shows Ethan Crumbley, 15, who is charged as an adult with murder and terrorism for a shooting that killed four fellow students and injured more at Oxford High School in Oxford, Mich., authorities said Wednesday, Dec. 1, 2021. (Oakland County Sheriff’s Office via AP)

He’s facing charges including four counts of first-degree murder, one count of terrorism and more.

“I have to make sure my client understands every single piece of evidence that’s going to be potentially against him, and that’s my job as a defense attorney,” Paulette Michel Loftin said to us on Dec. 8. “It’s not as though I’m defending his actions. I’m defending him to make sure his rights are preserved.”

Prosecutors and the defense acknowledge the magnitude of this case.

We have also learned that Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald will appear in court for the hearing.

James and Jennifer are represented by their own attorneys. Their probable cause hearing is scheduled for 1:15 p.m. Tuesday.

Prosecutors say his parents bought Ethan the handgun days before it was used in the school shooting. They were found hiding at an art studio in Detroit by U.S. Marshals after they were charged.

After today, Ethan’s next court date is set for Dec. 20. That’s where a judge would hear evidence and decide whether or not there’s enough evidence to send him to trial. It’s possible the case could be put on hold if his attorney seeks a mental competency exam.

This story was originally published Dec. 13, 2021, by WXYZ in Detroit, an E.W. Scripps Company.

MORE NEWS