3 get life in slaying of Michigan guard over face mask order

Posted at 8:29 AM, January 18, 2023 and last updated 4:53 PM, May 2, 2023

FLINT, Mich. (AP) — A married couple and their son convicted of first-degree premeditated murder in the fatal shooting of a security guard who demanded the woman’s daughter wear a mask while shopping were sentenced Tuesday to life in prison without parole.

Larry Teague, wife Sharmel Teague, and Sharmel Teague’s son, Ramonyea Bishop, were sentenced by Genesee Circuit Court Judge Brian Pickell in the shooting death of Calvin Munerlyn on May 1, 2020.

Latryna Sims, partner of Calvin Munerlyn, center, cries on the shoulder of his uncle

Latryna Sims, partner of Calvin Munerlyn, center, cries on the shoulder of his uncle Ramon Munerlyn, as the family celebrates outside the courtroom after Sharmel Teague, her husband Larry Teague, and son Ramonyea Bishop, three defendants charged in the fatal shooting of the security guard at a Family Dollar store in Flint, Mich., were sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole Tuesday, Jan. 17, 2023, in Genesee County Circuit Court. Security guard Calvin Munerlyn refused to allow Teague’s daughter inside because she wasn’t wearing a face mask to protect against transmission of the coronavirus. (Jake May/MLive.com/The Flint Journal via AP)

The three were convicted of first-degree premeditated murder, a crime that carries a mandatory punishment of life in prison without parole, following a trial that spanned several weeks, The Flint Journal reported.

RELATED: 3 charged in killing of store security guard over virus mask

Munerlyn, 43, was shot at the store just north of downtown Flint shortly after telling Sharmel Teague’s daughter she had to leave because she lacked a mask, Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton has said.

Two men later came to the store and shot the security guard to death, investigators said.

Bishop’s sister, Brya Bishop, was charged with tampering with evidence, lying to police and being an accessory to a felony. She was sentenced in November to time served and probation.